“Winging It” Yields Poor Results
The recent CCS® Index showed that 53% of sellers are guilty of “winging” sales calls. Most everyone had been guilty of not doing their due diligence before going to make a sales call.
Activities that should be done as part of pre-call planning would be:
- Visit to the prospect’s website to get a sense for what type of company it is.
- If calling on an executive, check his or her bio on the website to understand their background and areas of responsibility.
- Check social media channels to learn more about the buyer.
When calling on a prospect for the first time, I believe a seller can set themselves apart by having done some research as I believe the person appreciates that effort being made.
Winging Sales Calls Yields Poor Results
What I’ve described above is almost expected of a salesperson and doesn’t require a great deal of time or effort.
A more experienced salesperson would be looking for triggering events on a prospect’s website, so they could make some intelligent decisions about business challenges buyers may fact that the seller’s offering can address.
For example, if you were selling a CRM offering and saw that a prospect had just acquired one of their competitors, you may want to lead with a Success Story about having to merge milestones and seller pipelines to be able to forecast more accurately post-acquisition.
As you would expect, triggering events are likely to have different implications to various Key Players within an organization.
A seller’s ability to personalize the potential issues to specific titles they call on can go a long way toward:
- Establishing credibility early on
- Having buyers conclude you are competent
- Having a buyer share a goal, problem or need that your offering can help them achieve of address
Anyone that has been selling for a while has had occasions where they have “winged it.” I hope you agree:
[clickandtweet handle=”@PrimaryIntel” hashtag=”#SalesTips” related=”@Official_CCS” layout=”” position=””]Key Players you’re calling on can tell when sellers are winging it and that will reduce the chances of good outcomes of sales calls.[/clickandtweet]
Subscribe to the Voice of the Buyer Newsletter
- Corporate Visions Acquires Primary Intelligence
- Primary Intelligence Partners with Crayon to Launch the First Ever Technical Integration that Combines Win-Loss Data Analysis with Competitive Intelligence
- Win-Loss and Sales Training
- Win-Loss Analysis: The Key to Impactful Sales Enablement
- How to Build a Winning Go-to-Market Strategy