Win Loss Analysis
Identifying why you win, why you lose, why customers churn, and why customers make no decision at all.
What is Win Loss Analysis?
Win loss analysis can be defined as formalizing the process of identifying why you win, why you lose, why customers churn, and why customers decide to make no decision—all in an effort to improve sales, sales enablement, marketing, product development, and competitive strategy.
The win loss analysis process, sometimes referred to as sales win loss, win/loss, win-loss, or won lost analysis, is different from a simple deal review or deal postmortem, which typically focus solely on what went well and what didn’t go well for the sales representative during the sales pursuit.
The Purpose of Win Loss Analysis
The primary purpose of win loss analysis, in B2B sales, is to identify and document the buyer’s reasons for their decision and analyze those decision drivers to understand what you do well and what you need to improve. A formalized win loss analysis program will have three primary, ongoing functions:
- As deals are closed, the buyers’ reasons are consistently identified and documented
- The documented decision drivers are analyzed for sales, marketing, product, and competitor insights
- The insights gathered from the buyers are used to improve win rates, reduce cost of sales, and improve positioning
The Methodology of Win Loss Analysis
The data collection methodology you use will determine the overall effectiveness and impact of the win loss analysis program on your organization. There are three data collection methodologies used in win loss analysis:
The “Good” Way
In this approach, the sales rep identifies the reasons for the outcome when the deal is closed and records them in the organization’s CRM, or other central repository.
- Challenge: Sales representatives are the sole source of your win loss data, and they often do not know the full details of the buyers’ decisions.
- Challenge: Our data shows that, in 50% of cases, the reason the seller gives for a deal’s outcome is completely different than the reason the buyer provided. Gartner estimates are even higher, saying sellers are incorrect 70% of the time.
- Benefit: This is a good starting point for a new win loss analysis program if the weaknesses in the data are well understood by everyone.
The “Better” Way
In this approach, a non-salesperson or third-party partner asks the buyer for their decision reasons via survey and/or telephone interviews.
- Challenge: Sales reps commonly resist this approach, as the idea of someone other than themselves engaging with their buyers is a concern, creating friction in the process.
- Challenge: Budgets usually only allow capturing buyer feedback from a fraction of the deals closed, creating blind spots and gaps in the data.
- Benefit: This is a better approach to win loss analysis because you are capturing the real reasons for wins, losses, churns, and no decisions directly from the decision makers.
- Benefit: Having a third party gather the data helps ensure the findings are objective and can be more easily trusted.
The “Best” Way
This approach automates the process of asking buyers for their decision reasons as deals are closed, on behalf of the sales rep, via online interviews.
- Benefit: This approach eliminates all of the disadvantages of the other two approaches and adds the benefit of getting feedback on ALL deals, including renewals, add-ons, and upsells.
- Benefit: Because the requests for feedback are coming from the sellers who have the relationships, buyers are much more likely to share their feedback and decision reasons. In fact, conversion rates average around 60% with some sales reps achieving 100% conversion rates.
- Benefit: This approach transforms your win loss program into an effortless and automated machine that consistently keeps everyone updated on your buyers and your competitors.
Win Loss Analysis Features
Rich Telephone Interviews
Our interviewers are trained and certified to conduct in-depth, probing interviews that get to the root causes of why you win and lose. The level of questioning we provide reveals rich qualitative feedback that can be used to enable better sales, marketing, and product decisions, as well as reveal competitive intelligence that can be leveraged to create competitive advantages. Our process for securing telephone interviews is built on more than 20 years of experience and includes the following elements:
All telephone interviews are recorded with redundant backup systems so that we never lose an interview due to technology failure.
Primary Intelligence enables our interviews with our TruVoice technology that ensures each and every interview uncovers as much actionable intelligence as the buyer is willing to share and allows the interviewer to focus on the conversation with the decision-maker.
Automated incentive management
It’s not always necessary to offer an incentive, but when you do, we have a system that automates the process, allowing your buyers to either donate to a charity or receive a gift certificate.
Maintaining GDPR and privacy compliance is critical to the success of your win loss analysis program and is a top priority at Primary Intelligence. We take a holistic approach and maintain GDPR compliance ourselves. Of course, as a controller, you may set additional compliance preferences as needed. Primary Intelligence also protects your data with enterprise-grade security features, comprehensive audits of policies, systems, networks and applications. Our certifications include SOC 2 Type II and ISO 27001, and we fully comply with AICPA SOC and PCI DSS regulations.
Win Loss Analysis Reporting
All buyer and seller feedback is carefully coded for impact, categorized, and tagged to enable real-time trend reporting in TruVoice, our cloud-based platform. Our dedicated reporting team will create custom, executive-level reporting based on your requirements. These reports provide up-to-the-minute trends and patterns with key recommendations your leadership team can act upon to increase win rates, reduce cost of sales, and improve sales and marketing effectiveness.
Your Win Loss Analysis Team
Your program is supported by an experienced team that specializes in each of the major functional areas of your win loss program. Each team includes the following key resources to ensure we deliver quality interviews, analysis, and consulting that can inform your decisions:
- Program Director, responsible for the overall success of your program, managing your dedicated PI team to ensure we deliver the results you need, conduct interviews with your buyers, and help you take action on the insights.
- Program Manager, dedicated to conducting telephone interviews with your buyers to capture actionable intelligence and uncover as much insight as they can around what your buyers identify as the key decision drivers in the evaluation.
- Editor, responsible for transcribing and lightly editing the recorded interviews with your buyers for readability.
- Analyst, responsible for identifying the key findings in each buyer interview and coding those insights to give you a summary of the buyer’s feedback.
Join Other Top Sales & Marketing Leaders
Join the top sales and marketing leaders embracing buyer feedback to help them win more and eliminate their blind spots.